Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Baby Boot Camp...

So for the last 10 months or so Grant has been sleeping with us. I know, I know roll your eyes all you want, but it is just something that worked for us. There were a few nights where Grant slept in his own bed, but only until about 2 or 3am when we would go in there and get him and put him in bed with us, but for the most part, he had been sleeping with us.

When Grant was first born, Chris was home for about 4 weeks, but then he went back to work and was working 24 hours at a time. Then his shifts changed and he went to working only at night at least 4 nights a week, so it was just me and the little man. I felt more safe with Grant in the bed next to me, and if something were to happen, he wouldn't be all alone in his room.

Well, the time has come for him to move to his own bed and he is not happy about the change. We started this on Sunday night, which makes tonight night 4. We put him in his bed and he stands there and SCREAMS at the top of his lungs. We go in there about every 20 minutes or so and calm him down and eventually he falls asleep. The first night it took him 2 hours to fall asleep and each night that time has gotten a little shorter. But, the problem is that he doesn't understand how to put himself back to sleep, so he wakes up screaming in the middle of the night for one of us to come in there and help put him back to sleep. Last night he was up at 1am, again at 3, again at 5 and he woke up for the day at 7. Chris was working last night so it was just me enforcing the rules! I want so badly to scoop him up and bring him in the bed with me when he wakes up in the middle of the night, but I know that is not going to help him learn. So, I am thinking about tonight when he wakes up not going in there and letting him figure out how to put himself back to bed. We'll see how that goes. Say a prayer for us!

So since the little man has not gotten very good sleep the past couple nights, he has been a bear during the day! Even if he naps, it is still not enough sleep for him and he has been so grumpy for the majority of the time. Hopefully he will figure this whole process out soon because we all three need some serious sleep! I feel like we are back at the newborn stage all over again-waking up every three hours!

Our very grumpy, sleepy (but still oh, so cute) baby!

Baby Einstein videos, his paci, and something in his hands always calms him down

And even though he is grumpy, we still get the occasional smile (but it can't be with out the paci-he loves that thing)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds a lot like my nights lately! Abby has colic and screams every night for about 2-3 hours between 8 and 11. Last night we put her in her carrier and put it on the dryer and she slept in the laundry room! Hang in there! He will adjust...you are doing the right thing moving him back to his room. Call me at 3:00 AM when you are up, I am sure I will be up too!

The Hills said...

Hey, I am sure you had no idea that I read your blog but I ran across it one day and it is kinda cool to know how your are. Anyway, we had the same problem with Kaden, our oldest. The doctor told us that the only way that he will learn is to leave him in there and let him cry. You can make sure he is ok, but then leave the room and do not go back in. Let me tell you the first night was AWFUL!!!! I sat at his door balling myself, but each night after that got easier and he got better. I would say about a week into it he was sleeping through the night and it was wonderful. We have just done the same thing for the other two kiddos and it has worked out great!!! Hope everything works out and you have a pretty cute little boy!!!!!
Ashley